How to overcome anxiety?

Whenever, I heard of this term: Anxiety, I thought it might be some random thoughts in your mind. I had no idea that anxiety could affect your physical health.

I will start with my example. I was working very hard for 5 months straight; unfortunately my boss was still not happy with my work. I was always unsure of what feedback or comments I might get the next day.

I continued to work hard. Stopped going to gym and spend zero time on leisure activities. Within 2 months, I was always thinking of how to get my work done. As time progressed, I stopped taking care of my health. I didn’t take care of what I ate, what I wore, when I slept. Basically I was a mess. I was having fever on and off. I used to take some fever reducer medicine and fever used to go away. Later, I got fever and it was not going away. 

                

                                                                    Photo by Marcos Paulo Prado on Unsplash



Gradually, I developed chest pain and I was only 28 years old. Once the pain was so sharp that I had to rush to urgent care. The doctor informed it was because of stress. I still visited another doctor to confirm my doubts about the health of my heart. Doctor informed that it I developed fever, which led to muscle inflammation and acid reflux. She suggested that I try some meditation and relaxation techniques. She also suggested that these things happen when a person is facing anxiety. Sometime the anxiety is so severe that the doctors have to give anti-depressants to their patients.
This episode made me realize that Anxiety could:
    Lower your immune system
    Cause chest pain
    Acid Reflux
    Fever

The above is just a small list. If you search online then you will come to know that there could be many symptoms. I got a lot of symptoms but I ignored them. If you are pushing your body over your limits then your body sends out the signals by causing ill health temporarily. If that happens to you then just slow down and relax for couple of extra hours every day for one continuous week. Your body will recover quickly on its own.


                                                                            Photo by Liz Vo on Unsplash


Here are few of the things that you could do to slow down in your busy life:
  1. Train your mind with positive thoughts.
  2. Don’t work on computer or use your phone for an hour prior to your sleep. You will be able to doze off as soon as you lay down.
  3. Don’t check your e-mails, IMs, and social media status again and again. This just increases stress.
  4. Try not to do multiple things at a time.
  5. Get a good and healthy breakfast.
  6. Always eat your meals on time.
  7. Always spend time of your day on some of your favorite activity.
  8. Walk in open air at least once a day.
  9. Read a soothing book.
  10. Practice taking deep breaths for 5-10 minutes a day. This reduces anxiety to a huge extent.
  11. De-clutter your home and work space.
  12. Don’t overthink.
  13. Smile and laugh as much as possible.
  14. Every weekend eat at least one of the meals for 1 hour long and enjoy your food.
  15. Eat fruits and vegetables on regular basis.
  16. Take your medicines on time and finish the suggested dosage.
  17. Talk to your friends and colleagues regularly.
  18. If you have work related stress, bring it to your boss’s notice if possible. Or talk to someone experienced. 
  19. Try to love your job.
  20. Try to have a buffer time of 10 minutes while traveling to work or other place.
  21. Don’t procrastinate.
  22. Prioritize important things and get them done so that you don’t think about them all the time.
  23. Divide big tasks in smaller tasks and try to finish them.
  24. If you follow few of the above mentioned tips then you will see a considerable difference in your anxiety level.


Please note that the above mentioned list is not compiled by a professional doctor. This is just the thoughts of the writer. This article by any means doesn’t replace any professional help or medication provided by the doctor.

Comments

Popular Posts